Which Skin Type Solution Is Right For Me?
It's important to understand your skin type in order to use the correct products that will suit your specific skin care needs and be 100% effective. Not knowing which products to use on your skin often results in wasted money and time.
Dr. Yoram Harth, a board-certified dermatologist and MDacne's medical director, believes determining your skin type is fairly simple:
Wash your face with a gentle "baby" soap first and pat it dry with a soft cloth. Don't apply any cosmetics to your skin after this - leave your skin as is and examine it again after a few hours. If your skin appears to be glossy or shiny, you have an oily skin type. If your skin looks flaky, red, or is itchy in any way, your skin type is dry.
Combination skin usually appears dry on the cheeks and shiny/glossy on the forehead, nose and chin - this is your T-Zone. Lastly, "normal" skin type will have a healthy glow with no obvious issues.
We've identified 6 different skin types to help you better understand how to look after your skin and which products are right for you.
1. ACNE / BREAKOUTS
Acne is commonly linked to having an oily skin type as excess oil production is a known contributor to causing breakouts. However, dry skin types can still experience acne as well. There are a few factors that contribute to this, mainly environmental factors and a poor skincare routine which will irritate and/or clog your pores. It's important to remember that acne can occur even if your skin isn't dry or greasy.
Treating Your Acne Effectively:
Treating acne involves a bit of trial and error in finding a combination of products that work best for you as each person's skin care needs may vary slightly. However, this should not involve applying copious layers of creams/serums and bombarding your face with product after product in the hopes of ridding your skin of acne. We've curated a list of our products that are suitable and safe to use on acne-prone skin, formulated to gently wash away impurities and dirt, while effectively soothing your skin and shrinking your pores. Click here to browse our Acne / Breakouts catalogue.
A Closer Look At Our Acne / Breakouts Range:
Our Hemp Oil Skincare Range is excellent for the treatment of acne as it is gentle, light on the skin and noncomedogenic. These three products are available individually, or as a bundle where you can save 10%. The active ingredients in this range are 100% natural, including Hemp Seed Oil, Vitamin C Extract, Lavender Oil and Calendula Officinalis (used for the treatment of inflammation by reducing pain and swelling).
Our Activated Charcoal Soap is also brilliant for acne-prone skin. It is 100% natural and can be used daily on both your face and upper body (perfect for treating back and chest acne). This cleanser reduces oil production, irritation, blackheads and whiteheads without drying out your skin.
If you struggle with acne scarring, we recommend trying our Micro-Needle Derma Roller (0.3mm). The benefits are just too great to pass up on - boosting collagen production for firmer, smoother looking skin, the treatment of facial scars and uneven skin tone caused by acne and sun damage, as well as the fact that it is convenient to use when travelling due to its small size. So whether you’re going to your best friend's place or on holiday, you can carry it with you all the time! We suggest using your Derma Roller with whichever one of our facial serums appeals to your skin care needs the most: Vitamin C Serum, Hyaluronic Acid Serum (with Vitamin C) or Retinol Serum. One of our customer's had this to say about the Derma Roller:
"After my pregnancy I developed severe acne. Tried everything, you name it! Decided to take a chance with the Nutriherbs products and I am sooo happy and amazed at the results in just a week. I felt the difference on my skin the same day I used my derma roller and my serums. Skin is soft and radiant..Goodbye Acne!!! All these products work so well together. I got my groove n' glow back! Thank you Nutriherbs, I will be definitely trying your other products soon."
Tips And Tricks For Treating Your Acne Effectively:
- Don't pick at your skin / squeeze your pimples. Although it is super tempting, this will only lead to transferring more bacteria into other pores around the affected area, often turning small pimples into deep, inflamed acne. Rather consult your dermatologist or skin care professional to extract these pimples if they do get out of hand as she/he will use proper equipment to do so safely. Picking and squeezing your acne by yourself can lead to bad scarring.
- Wash your face twice a day and after your sweat. Keep your skin clean and pores clear by cleansing your face both morning and night. If you are sweating or exercising a lot, you could add one more wash to your daily routine, but if not, we don't recommend washing your face more than twice a day as it could cause irritation to the skin.
- Don't scrub your face or use harsh exfoliants. Scrubbing your face harder is not going to help get rid of your acne as the issue is not a dirt buildup, but rather a bacteria problem. Using harsh exfoliants can only lead to more redness and irritation. Be gentle with the products you use on your acne as you also don't want to scar your skin.
- Use an alcohol free toner daily. We recommend introducing a toner to your skincare routine to keep dirt out of your pores. After cleansing your face in the morning, apply toner using a cotton pad before finishing off with your moisturizer. Have a look at our Vitamin C Brightening & Glow Toner - it is alcohol and fragrance free, infused with Vitamin C to reduce the appearance of brown spots and damage caused by the sun, as well as to replenish moisture levels in your skin in order to prevent peeling without clogging your pores.
- Opt for noncomedogenic products. Also known as "oil-free," "non-acnegenic," or simply "won't clog pores" products. The labels "oil-free" or "noncomedogenic" should be on every product used on acne-prone areas. Our Hemp Bundle is the perfect solution for treating acne and is completely noncomedogenic.
2. OILY SKIN
To keep skin supple and moisturized, everyone requires a certain amount of natural oil. The amount of oil produced by your skin on your face determines your skin type, which can be classified as dry, combination, or oily. An oily skin type is exactly that - skin that produces excess oil, consistently leaving your face looking shiny or greasy. This skin type is prone to blackheads, pimples, and other forms of acne if not managed properly.
Oily skin is usually inherited; if you have oily skin, it's likely that your parents had the same problem. Excess oil can also be the result of increased hormone levels, such as during adolescence, certain periods of the menstrual cycle, pregnancy, and menopause, when sebaceous glands become more active.
How Do I Know If I Have An Oily Skin Type?
- Your skin seems to get shiny or greasy later in the day.
- Makeup doesn't appear to stay on and almost "slides" off.
- Blackheads, pimples, and/or other types of acne can be found in the oilier areas of your face.
- Pores on your nose, chin, and forehead are visibly enlarged.
Treating Oily Skin Effectively:
Our Deep Cleaning & Moisture Balancing Bundle is specifically designed for individuals who have an oily skin type. This non-greasy, yet nourishing bundle is gentle on your skin and works well in the prevention and treatment of acne / breakouts as a result of excessive oil production. It includes a daily cleanser, a face mask and a moisturiser and is discounted at 10% off the total value of all three products.
Use Your Bundle In This Order:
1. Dead Sea Mud Mask 100% natural: Apply face mask 1 - 2 times per week, depending on how much oil your skin produces. After 10 - 15 minutes, wash off gently with warm water and a soft towel.
2. Vitamin C Brightening & Glow Daily Facial Cleanser: Cleanse daily in the morning and at night. Gently massage a pea-sized amount of cleanser in upward, circular motions, avoiding the immediate eye area. Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
3. Vitamin E Cream: Finish off by applying moisturiser to your face and neck. Gently massage a small amount of cream into your skin using upward, circular motions until fully absorbed. Use in the morning and evening if desired, otherwise use in the morning.
3. DRY SKIN
Dry skin can be caused by or made worse by many factors. Whether it is hereditary, due to aging or hormonal changes, exposing your skin to harsh weather such as wind, sun or cold, Taking long, hot baths and showers or using products that have harsh ingredients in them, dry skin is very uncomfortable and requires effective solutions.
Signs that you have dry skin:
- Pores that are almost invisible.
- Your skin is dull and rough.
- Patches of red / irritated skin.
- Your skin has lost its elasticity.
- Lines that are more visible.
What Products Are Best For Me?
We recommend our Vitamin E Range for dry skin, including a facial cleanser, face cream, hydrating skin mist and nourishing body lotion. Lock in moisture and nutrients with the Vitamin E Intense Moisturizing and Nourishing Bundle perfectly curated to keep your skin moist for a longer period of time without leaving it greasy. Enriched with Avocado Oil, Aloe Vera, Raspberry Fruit Extract, Cynanchum Atratum, this range will help to soothe irritated skin.
The Oxygen Aqua Day & Night Cream Bundle is specially formulated to provide deep hydration to even the deepest layers of skin. Your skin has the ability to detect hydration levels and a lack of moisture signals sebaceous glands to produce oils. This bundle set will help balance oiliness while regulating this feedback mechanism by increasing the hydration.
Use These Tips To Help Your Dry Skin:
- Take shorter showers / baths, not more than one per day and keep the water temperature to a low to avoid drying out your skin.
- Use mild, gentle soaps or cleansers. Avoid deodorant soaps.
- Don't scrub while bathing. Pat your skin dry instead of rubbing.
- Smooth on a rich moisturizer right after bathing. Reapply as needed throughout the day.
- Use a humidifier, and don't let indoor temperatures get too hot.
- Wear gloves when using cleaning agents, solvents, or household detergents.
4. SCARRING / PIGMENTATION
Hyperpigmentation is a common, harmless skin disorder marked by the appearance of darker patches. Hyperpigmentation manifests as in the form of dark liver patches and patchy pigment deposits in older people. The pigment melanin accumulates in these darker spots, causing them to darken. Individuals of all skin tones are affected by hyperpigmentation, which is most typically caused by years of excessive sun exposure or skin irritation.
Vitamin C plays a huge part in the elimination of hyperpigmentation. One of its tasks is to inhibit the action of tyrosinase, an enzyme that is required for the synthesis of the pigment melanin. Large amounts of vitamin C applied to the skin will gradually remove hyperpigmentation deposits as long as the skin is also protected from the sun with sunscreen or a hat.
What Products Should I Use?
Our bestselling collection is the Vitamin C range which we highly recommend for evening out skin tone, eliminating hyperpigmentation and fading away acne scars. Incorporate this range into your daily skincare routine for the best results as they have been designed to work together in leaving your skin bright and glowing. All products are sold individually, but we have also curated a bundle with our Vitamin C essentials for daily use to get you started! The Vitamin C Brightening & Glow Bundle includes our Vitamin C Daily Facial Cleanser, Vitamin C Serum, as well as our Vitamin C Brightening & Glow Daily Face Cream. Available at 10% off the total price of all three products, it's a no-brainer!
5. PUFFY EYES / DARK RINGS
If this is something you suffer from, then you should be incorporating Vitamin A (or Retinol) into your skincare routine. Retinol is effective at stimulating collagen production and reducing wrinkles when used topically. It stimulates the production of new skin cells, preventing your skin from becoming overly dry. It's important to remember that the skin around your eyes is incredibly fragile, so you'll want to use an eye cream designed specifically for this area. Because the skin around the eyes is so fragile, using your regular moisturiser instead could cause irritation.
You don't have to wait until you see fine lines and wrinkles to start utilising retinol eye treatments. Of course, if you've already noticed bags, wrinkles, or dark circles around your eyes, a retinol eye cream can help you combat these skin issues effectively.
Which Products Should I Use?
Our Eye Gel for Wrinkles & Dark Circles not only improves the appearance of your skin's texture, but it also helps it feel firmer. This gel is specifically formulated to help improve visible signs of aging around the eyes by reducing fine lines, dark circles and puffiness around your eyes.
Browse our collection of eye care products here - all designed to hydrate, tighten and lighten your under eye area. Give your lashes and brows some attention too with our Eyebrow & Eyelash Growth Serum and have fuller, darker lashes and brows in 2 - 4 weeks.
6. WRINKLES / FINE LINES
24K Gold has anti-inflammatory properties which is what makes it such an attractive ingredient to incorporate into various skin care products.
Colloidal gold (used in skincare products) helps to re-texture and repair skin damage, rejuvenating your skin for a bright complexion and eliminating signs of aging. Gold-infused skincare products offer a potent blend of active chemicals infused with colloidal gold to improve skin suppleness and firmness.
Consistent usage of colloidal gold products will help the skin's defense against environmental aggressors by reinforcing the skin's natural barrier. Whether you live in the city or the suburbs, your skin is constantly being exposed to daily pollutants which worsen environmental skin ageing and can also harm your general skin health.
24K Gold Products Recommended For Anti-ageing:
Applying 24K Gold Eye Masks to your under-eye area can help soothe, cool and firm the sensitive skin around your eyes. This Mask has been specially designed to ensure that your skin absorbs all of the nutrients necessary to fight against ageing. It hydrates, lifts and firms your skin, therefore minimising the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Our 24K Gold Youthful Glow Bundle has been selected to provide all the youthful essentials you need to reduce the signs of ageing in one pack. 24K Gold Serum, 24K Gold Face Masks & 24K Gold Eye Masks