Toner is one of those "mysterious" skin care products in the sense that most people have heard of it, but are still unsure as to what it does or why it should be incorporated into their skin care routine.
We're here to set the record straight and get you clued up on everything you need to know about toner.
WHAT IS TONER?
Toner is usually applied after cleansing your face, but before applying your moisturiser. It is meant to remove any traces of impurities, makeup and oil residue left behind after cleansing your face. Toners are considered to be an "in-between" skincare step mainly used to prime your face before applying serums and moisturisers.
Toner was originally developed to remove the soap scum residue left behind after washing your face with lye-based soaps combined with hard water - this leaves a sticky residue behind which blocks your pores and causes breakouts. Nowadays it is uncommon to use soap for washing your face and modern cleansers are developed to be pH balanced and gentle, ensuring no residue is left behind on your skin. So the need for toner is not as vital as it once was, but read on to see why it is still beneficial to use a toner.
THE BENEFITS OF USING A TONER
- Toner has a positive impact on maintaining the appearance of tight and toned skin, thereby reducing enlarged pores and puffiness. It's a great product to include in your skincare routine to rapidly slow down the ageing process.
- They are also used to restore your skin's pH level, smooth your skin by refining rough patches and improve your skin tone. Our skin is naturally acidic so toners are a great way to restore this balance quickly.
- Modern toners are developed without alcohol which prevents them from drying out your skin or causing any irritation. Most toners nowadays are soothing and don't leave your skin feeling dry, tight or irritated, but it's important to always look out for toners that are alcohol-free when choosing one.
- If you have sensitive skin, using a toner before applying your favourite serum or moisturiser is highly beneficial as it preps your skin to absorb your products effectively without causing irritation.
- Toners are great for acne prone and/or oily skin as they go that extra mile to clean out and shrink up pores. It will also leave your skin feeling revitalised and refreshed when you're on the go!
- Using toners that contain glycolic acid or other alpha hydroxy acids can prevent ingrown hairs.
HOW TO INCORPORATE A TONER INTO YOUR DAILY SKIN CARE REGIMEN
Toner should be applied after cleansing your face, but before moisturising. For the best results, we recommend applying it daily, both in the morning and at night. Ensure your toner is alcohol free for the best results (Try our Vitamin C Brightening & Glow Toner)!
Step 1: Gently cleanse your face using tepid water.
Step 2: Saturate a cotton pad with your toner and gently sweep it across your face, neck, and décolletage (avoiding the eye area).
Step 3: Follow with your favourite serum. We recommend using our Vitamin C Serum for daily morning use, and alternating between our Hyaluronic Acid Serum and our Retinol Serums every other evening for the best results!
Step 4: Apply your favourite Moisturiser and you're all set!
Our Vitamin C Brightening & Glow Toner contains 0% alcohol and assists in correcting hyperpigmentation, while moisturising your skin and leaving it with a gorgeous dewy glow!